According to the National Safety Council (NSC), roughly ten people die from drowning every day in the United States (not including boating accidents.) Water safety should be top of mind if you own – or are around – a pool this summer to avoid drowning disasters.
The Pool Safely campaign encourages people to follow six steps to remain safe in or near water. The steps include:
- Never leave a child unattended in or near water
- Teach children how to swim
- Teach children to stay away from drains
- Ensure all pools have compliant drain covers
- Install proper barriers, alarms, and covers
- Know how to perform CPR
Over 75,000 adults and kids have signed the Pool Safely Pledge. Take the Pledge and get a free Pool Safely Toolkit. The USA Swimming Foundation reported almost 90 children younger than the age of 15 drowned in a pool or spa from January through May 2018.
- Every year roughly 19 children drown during the 4th of July holiday
- 74 percent of drowning incidents occurred in residential locations
- 351 children younger than 15 died in pools and spas during 2015
- Emergency departments treat around 6,400 pool and spa injuries in children younger than 15 every year
To avoid accidental drowning, keep the following tips in mind:
- Don’t go near water unless you know how to swim
- Never swim alone
- Learn CPR
- Stay calm if caught in a current or swim parallel to shore
- Swim with lifeguard supervision
- Don’t roughhouse in pools
- No diving in unfamiliar areas
- Avoid alcohol as it is involved in about half of all male teen drownings
- Wear life jackets to ensure water safety
Call the pool renovation experts at Pound Pool Plastering today to make sure your pool is ready to go this swim season.
Pound Pool Plastering offers free estimates and complete pool renovations. Dale Pound, owner, personally oversees each pool project to ensure the highest quality is delivered. We offer Diamond Brite, Sunstone, Hydrazzo, Marcite, Pebble finishes, Bead Crete, tile choices, coping stones, etc. We are pool renovation experts – contact us today at 248-476-4544 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Written by the digital marketing staff at Creative Programs & Systems: www.cpsmi.com.